Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 6 CHAIR!
Virginia, place of my birth. Virginia, where I went to grad school. Virginia, where our nation got her start in 1607. Virginia has four obvious seasons, unlike where I live now that has going to be hot, hot, hotter, still hot. I spent 25 years of my life in Virginia watching how to be a teacher, learning to be a teacher with five years of formal post high school education, and four and half years being a teacher (You have to count student teaching, as it was some of the hardest work I ever had).
I grew up in Fishersville, a very small town with two elementary schools and one high school. Most people went through all twelve years of school never transferring as is the norm now. Many of these people still live there or in a town/city close by. We all had our churches which we went to every Sunday. The public library was very small but we met our friends there generally every two weeks in the summer when the books were due. There were several spots everyone knew: Shopquik, Mitchell's Grocery, and the mini golf area with the in-ground trampolines. And no, no one ever broke their neck there even though there was no protective fencing, wire, or protective perimeter. (Correct me if I am wrong!). High school was fun with clubs, student government, sports, and community service events such as the March of Dimes walk in Gypsy Hill Park. What a hoot that was with the tallest guys talking the steps for each dime pledged. As far as getting around the park first I think we won the first year I participated, but in reality our recipients were the winners. No one expected a token trophy or medal because we didn't need something tangible to make us feel good,unlike today's kids, many of whom think they are owed something for helping others.
Off to college I went, LONGWOOD COLLEGE. First it was an all girls school, then the state put a stop to that. Sophomore year we went co-ed and it was weird at first, however we got used to it. Again there were clubs, frats and sororities, sports, music, drama, skipping classes to go to VMI, and classes we got to CHOOSE to attend, or not. We were adults and given so much freedom. For some this was a disaster and they left by Christmas, others lasted the whole year. For me I knew this was my ticket to a successful career so I needed to be somewhat serious. I did in fact get it done in four years, joining a social fraternity (yes females have fraternities!) and was inducted into an honorary one as well. Graduation brought mixed feelings, as some had jobs waiting others did not. Enter the University of Virginia, totally unexpected. No job except for the hotel one in Virginia Beach. I had no idea what I would do until I talked to a guy in the hotel bar about grad school. After I discovered scholarships might be able for UVA I quit my job, went to interview and in two weeks was enrolled in a graduate program, provisionally that is. I had no GRE scores so I needed to get some. November of that year I tested and was surprised at how well I had done. I could have never gotten in undergrad with my SAT scores (seriously way under the minimum required!). I finished all classes in one year, except one I got a C, same as an F for UVA. I had a job teaching adaptive PE in Norfolk as long as I passed that last class.
I did and spent two years teaching in three schools, writing IEPs, and creating a regional games for Cerebral Palsy. We took kids to national CP games in Rhode Island one summer and those kids came back to break their records the following year at our event. Norfolk, Virginia was also well represented at all Special Olympics events and I was so proud to be able to see growth in my students from one S.O. event to the next. While in Virginia I was trained by national trainers and received National Special Olympics coaching certification/training in at least three sports. I knew that would come in handy. (More on that later). Living in Virginia ended when I went to Munich, Germany to teach PE. From there I moved to Oklahoma in 1985. People tell me I'm an Okie now since I've lived here so long. WRONG! I'll always be a Virginian who lives somewhere else. And those Special Olympic coaching certifications I got? I was told my services were not needed where I live now. What a mistake they made! So Day 6 Chair- How my UVA chair would bring back memories for this blog entry, I wasn't sure. I am glad to have been brought up in Virginia, been educated in Virginia, been employed in Virginia...All of this was the foundation for the rich life I have experienced. I clearly have not spent much of it sitting in the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment