Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sitting in Seattle: February 23, 2013

So, here I am, sitting in Seattle waiting for my last flight of my new adventure. This installment will have no photos, however I can assure you there will be photos soon and plenty of them. You will see more dogs than ever before...finely tuned racing machines, pulling on their harnesses with a frenzy. Yes my friends, it is Iditarod time! But I digress... I do not care where you are people have to pull out their phones and focus on them more than having actual contact with another human. On both flights so far as soon as the flight attendant announced electronic devices could be turned on out come the phones and the fingers were flying. I am seriously concerned about people who have to get their Angry Birds fix before even stepping off the plane! I think the ones which really crack me up are the people who call their friends, in the terminal, and tell them they will be out in a few minutes, then text them as the line starts moving to tell them the line is moving! I am so low tech regarding my phone. I'm very glad to not be a slave to it. I've seen a few Iditarod shirts and sweatshirts in this airport so I'm guessing they are either going where I am or wish they were going where I am! I talked to a few people while waiting for the last flight and they asked me if I was musher. That brought me a silent laugh...if only I was a musher! What a great opportunity to explain how this Last Great Race is used as a wonderful educational tool. All wished me well and said to enjoy all of that cold weather. Thank you...I most definitely will! Back to the technology I see: Hardly anyone reads a real book now and I find that somewhat sad. There is just something about turning pages, not clicking the next screen, that makes a book enjoyable to me. I am now reading "We the Living" by Ayn Rand. Someone gave it to me so I figured now was as good a time as any to read it. I've passed page 56 so I guess it has kept my interest enough to continue. As I type this I see only two people with books. Their companions all have Nooks or Kindles or whatever other brand of reader. I do know if I drop my book I will not being paying a big ole wad on money for another one! I've been here for about two hours so I need to get up and walk around. Next time you see me I'll be in Anchorage, living the dream, and doing a little shopping in Once in a Blue Moose Gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment