Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fireworks in February!

Flying in to the airport was absolutely beautiful! The huge ice packs on the Knik Arm were breathtaking (for someone who has never them before)and I did not think to have my camera ready. It was in the overhead bin and unfortunately I had a window seat so I wasn't going to ask someone to get up just to get my camera. It was pretty obvious which parts of the water were deeper than others, as some of the ice was very very thick, while others were barely frozen over. Such a nice intro to Alaska this time around. I took the people mover bus to the bus depot and walked to the hotel. It was almost 6:00 when I arrived so I put my stuff down and took a walk around. Tonight there was a fireworks display, in conjunction with the Fur Rondy event going on this weekend. It was also snowing so they looked beautiful. And no, I didn't have my camera ready then either. By the time I would have gone back to the 15th floor to get it the fireworks would have been over. There is a carnival set up near my hotel and these people are out riding rides and eating cotton candy! It was a sight to behold, as I was not expecting so many people out, especially out with strollers rolling through thick snow. I got back to my hotel, went up to meet one of my fellow competitors, and had hardly been there long when a friend from high school who lives here calls me. We arranged to meet for coffee, and actually spent our time looking for a parking space, talking all the while. Finally after circling a bit we found one across from the place we wanted to eat in. We had a nice time talking about the last 30 years of our lives. I had a great time and hope we can get together on Monday night before I leave. Sunday I'm heading off for church, then it's back to theHilton area to see the third Fur Rondy sprint race start. Oh the sound those dogs will be making! Who knows what else the afternoon will bring. At 7:00 pm I have my first meeting with the Iditarod Education Director and with that an exciting week filled with surprises, challenges, some frustration I expect, and loads of fun with mushers, dogs, and other teachers.

1 comment:

  1. So good to finally meet you in person! Can't wait to have some fun with you!

    ReplyDelete