Monday, February 25, 2013

Day Two Anchorage, Alaska

I finally got to see the last stage of the famous International Sprint Sled Dog Race during the noon to two time period today. Starting at noon small teams of huskies taking off for 25 miles through Anchorage to Campbell airstrip and back. It was fun to see these dogs racing with all the enthusiasm of any athlete who has trained for just a moment as this. Out they went and back in they came...tails wagging or flying, feet kicking up snow, and several had smiles on their faces...yes, yes they do too smile! These dogs were enjoying themselves! My morning started with a 1.5 mile walk to a Lutheran church. I passed a nice little park on the way at 7:45, the lights were still on, showing a beautiful yet simple display of native culture. Once inside the church I was warmly welcomed. We had communion after the sermon and that was nice because I will miss it next Sunday. Then I walked back to the hotel, got my first reindeer hot dog and enjoyed a trip to the winter carnival. Yep, I'm on an open air ferris wheel in the winter. And look at those mountains behind me. Is it any wonder I love it here? I got involved in the local blanket toss also. Look at how high those little kids flew! It was great! I'll now be posting on the official Iditarod website until I get home. To follow my adventures please go to http://finalistsforteacheronthetrail.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment