Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 38: Purple: A popular color

Day 38: Purple
Purple is a color of many things I am involved in on a weekly basis. My school, Eisenhower Middle School, has purple as a main color. My LIONS club, Lawton Northeast LIONS, has purple as one of its main colors, and my favorite place in the USA to visit, Alaska, is represented by a purple tee shirt. Between August and May most of my time is spent at school. I teach 6th grade science and sponsor the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which meets once a week. My choice of tee shirt color for that organization is also purple, the color of royalty. Twice a month the LIONS club meets to plan and deliver service projects in the community and the state. We collect used eyeglasses to be used for people in other countries, we place flags in the city at businesses on national holidays, we donate paper products to the Boys' ranch in Perkins, and we provide educational assistance through scholarships and the annual speech contest. Alaska is very close to my heart, especially once I learned about sled dog racing. I have visited there four times, once on a grant, once as a NOAA Teacher at Sea, once for Iditarod Teacher Camp, and once to work in Denali at a hotel. Every time I visit I learn a great deal about the areas where I either work or journey out into the wilderness. The more I learn about Alaska the more I can impart to my students regarding climate, geography, geology, fauna and flora, and history. And the non-shirt purple thing? It is a Chinese comforter cover I found in Shijiazhuang in 2008. It matches the lilac paint on my bedroom walls so I knew I had to buy it. I watched them make it in the store in about 20 minutes. It contains my silk comforter from Shanghai that is the softest comforter I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment