Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Day 43: Simple
Simple patriotism can be found in many places: Flowerbeds with a tiny flag waving in the breeze or hay bales seen along an interstate highway with a large flag sticking out of the middle of the hay. Thanks to all who display with the flag with honor. Day 44: Simple Part 2
Mom wanted a simple headstone, mainly because anything else was a waste of money. All we needed was her name, birth date and date of death. It is the perfect answer to her wishes. Day 45: Ready
Omaha was the site of the US Olympic swimming trials. A few weeks before I was there and saw this huge fiberglass swimmer near the Mutual of Omaha building. People took lots of photos there because you simply could not miss this guy in the middle of the hill. Day 46: Food
One of my favorite salads is broccoli salad. As far as I am concerned bacon is the main ingredient. This was what I ate on the road in Yellowstone in July- salad, beef jerky that Wayne makes, cookies, & fruit. Lots of variety and oh so tasty! Day 47: Faces
In my classroom are many non-student faces. I have attention getting animals whose faces are unique- a chicken and a cow. One big face is Albert Einstein smoking a pipe. You cannot have a science room without Old Albert. There is a green monkey I bought in Illinois at a museum gift shop. I do not remember the details about it, but I love the tremendously long arms on this guy. Day 48: Inside
Inside was fairly simple. My favorite item in the classroom is Mr. Skelly. Right now he is INSIDE of a bag to keep dust off of him and to keep the kids from having a little fun with him. Jim Bryan, my high school biology teacher, had one such skeleton and I very clearly remember things we did to it. Skelly will not be subjected to that abuse by sixth graders! Day 49:Hole
Mud Volcano hole in Yellowstone National Park on July 13th. I was not expecting such a huge hole so was a cool view BEFORE the hail started. It is hot, but not near as hot as the geyser area. Glad I got to see it. Day 50:
Today I used my cow noisemaker to get kids' attention. What do you think- Would you stop to listen to this funny looking cow? Day 51: Cool
Sock monkey is making a huge comeback! I saw plenty of teacher decorations in Mardel's for Sock Monkey. I have seen it on t-shirts and Kohl's has them now for $5.00. I sewed them so they would be hanging together, then placed these little signs on them to give kids something to think about. Just saying the three evils would not make much of an impact on eleven year olds. Maybe this display will do the trick! Day 52: Home
I love Chinese art and tea pots. The pots were bought in a grocery store (white one) and a tea shop (black one). Their entire being is a piece of art...can't bring my self to use them for tea. My first year in China I met a young artist at a city tower painting names for an unbelievably low price. Just watching him work was an experience because no two names were the same, not even if he painted two with the same last name. And boy was he lightning fast! He did this one in about 8 minutes. I have never found another guy as good as he was. My Jesus puzzle, was designed by Rev. Richard Mayer, our minister for 26 years. This was a Lent puzzle from several years ago and it definitely has a home in my house and in my heart. Now that school is back in session I will be switching over to the weekly themes rather that the daily ones. Once you get behind on those it takes a lot of catching up (This post took over an hour to upload and explain- cannot do that again!).

No comments:

Post a Comment