Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 2 Working in AK

After attending a 3 1/2 hour orientation for new staff we had lunch. THe staff dining facility is not yet open so we're eating in the main dining room. The lodge is now officially closed for five days for remodeling and the people they did have were moved to the larger area up the road a few miles. So we, the staff, have it to ourselves. Having nothing else to do I went to my work area to find out what I might need to know for the next few days. Two days off, before I even really start!





Because I am free for this long I decided to take a walk down a trail or two. Once I arrived at the trail I decided the highway was a safer way to go, at least for my first walk by myself. The sky was so clear of thunder clouds and no smoke from fires. We were told to always make noise to let animals know we were near. After going about 4 1/2 miles I found a stick to carry and was using it for playing music on a guardrail. I was having a wonderful time, singing, watching for wild animals, and oops...over my ankle went, twisted and very painful. I had one more mile to walk and it was a very long mile. Luckily no one was coming to see me fall. That would have been embarrassing to say the least.

Returning to my lodge I got a big bag of ice, went to the room to put my foot up, and chill a little from the walk. It is quite swollen, but at least it doesn't hurt until I get up to walk.
Went to dinner, icebag in hand. ate a little, but not really feeling it. So I went back to my room and left it on my ankle until the ice melted. It's going to be a long two days! The upside is I'm going to bed earlier.

I have red two books I've been wanting to read, watched youtube videos of my favorite European sled dog race, and basically chilled out today. The ankle is less swollen than on Wednesday, but man is my foot purple!

No comments:

Post a Comment